Comprehensive Sexuality Education Working Group (CSEWG)
Saratoga Union School District's (SUSD) Comprehensive Sexuality Education Working Group (CSEWG) is comprised of district administrators, school administrators, teachers, parents and experts in the field of sexuality education. Over the past two school years, the CSEWG has been closely studying the new California laws around sexuality education as well as updated curriculum options that comply with these new laws. The CSEWG has hosted several parent workshops and has provided presentations at numerous school board meetings, School Site Council meetings, PTA meetings and other events at all of the school sites in order to keep our community informed along the way -- we hope you have been able to attend one of these events!The CSEWG selected three (3) curriculum options for in-depth review based on the following criteria:
1. Must have passed compliance review through ASHWG (Adolescent Sexual Health Working Group, www.ashwg.org)
2. Must have local training opportunities and access to on-going teacher support
3. Must provide parent education opportunitiesThe CSEWG participated in curriculum evaluation training (i.e. how to effectively review curriculum) and conducted an extensive review of the following three (3) curricula:1. Health Connected (Puberty Talk, Teen Talk & Teen Talk AAA-Adapted for All Abilities - additional info at Lets-talk.how)2. Positive Prevention Plus (Upper Elementary, Middle Schook, Special Populations)3. Rights, Respect, Responsibility (3Rs) from Advoates for YouthOn February 8, 2018, SUSD parents were invited to participate in a Parent Focus Group meeting for an overview of the curriculum options and implementation plans and to provide their feedback to the CSEWG.On February 28, 2018, CSEWG provided a report on Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) options to the SUSD school board.In early March 2018, the CSEWG recommended that SUSD pilot the Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) curriculum for 5th grade and 8th grade students in spring 2018.In March and April 2018, SUSD parents were invited to attend Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) curriculum review sessions led by experienced trainers at all of the school sites. These review sessions offered a guided overview of all lessons, opportunity to review student and teacher materials, ideas and tips for how to effectively support and talk with children about the nightly homework assignments, parent resources and more. These sessions were held:
- Upper Elementary Curriculum (5th Grade): 6 sessions - 2 sessions @ each elementary school (March 27, April 2 & April 3)
- Middle School Curriculum (8th Grade): 3 sessions @ Redwood (March 21 & March 27)
On March 28 & March 29, 2018, SUSD 5th grade and 8th grade parents were sent a letter with details about Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) pilot, including teaching dates, curriculum review opportunities, opt-out instructions, opt-out deadline, etc.
In April - May, 2018, 5th grade and 8th grade students received Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) instruction.
In May - June, 2018, 5th grade and 8th grade students, parents and teachers evaluated the Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) pilot.
In September - October 2018, the CSEWG analyzed the feedback from the Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) pilot and provided a report to the SUSD school board.
In October 2018, the SUSD school board adopted the Positive Prevention Plus (PPP) curriculum.