Substitute Teachers & Aides
Substitute Teachers & Aides Information
All current job openings in the district are posted on Edjoin.org.
Substitute and Employee Management System for Schools (SEMS)
Online access to SEMS at SmartFind Express; Phone access to SEMS by calling 408-596-5761
Certificated Substitute Rates
- $200 (Full Day), $100 (Half Day)
The full day rate is based on the school instructional day; see school bell schedules for times. Substitutes are to remain on campus for the entire school day.
- Middle School Only
Payment will be paid by period ($28.57 per period) if worked less than a full day. A full day is 7 periods.
- $225 (Long-Term Assignment)
Substitutes whose single assignment is 15 days or longer.
- Certificated Hourly Rate (Aide positions)
Certificated substitutes subbing for Special Education Aide positions will be paid the certificated hourly rate ($200/7 hours = $28.57 per hour).
Semester Bonus for Substitutes
- $300 Bonus for day-to-day assignments (per semester) for certificated and classified substitutes
For substitutes serving in day-to-day assignments for 40+ days during the semester. Credit toward the bonus is given for substituting in a certificated and in a Classified Special Education Aide position, as well as for participation in selected, pre-approved professional development events. Payment for the bonus takes place in January and June. Long-term certificated assignments are not included in this bonus.
Requirements for Substitute Teachers
- Bachelor's Degree
- CBEST or Basic Skills Requirement fulfillment
- 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit (apply through the Santa Clara County Office of Education) OR California Teaching Credential
Those who have not taken the CBEST, can apply to be a Classified Substitute Aide, which includes Special Education Aide, 1-to-1 Aide and Office Aide substitute positions. Substitute Aides are paid a classified substitute hourly rate based on the position (certificated substitutes subbing for Aide positions paid certificated hourly rate - see above).
Substitute Payroll and Sick Leave Benefits
- Substitute Payroll
Information regarding the payroll schedule, direct deposit and payroll please contact the SUSD Business Services Office, (408) 867-3424, ext. 518.
- Information regarding eligibility, process for requesting sick leave and sick leave request form is available here. Sick leave request forms must be completed by the substitute and submitted to the District Office within three (3) days of the absence.
- 2023-2024 pay period and pay day chart
How to Apply to be a Substitute
- If SUSD is currently accepting applications, it will be posted on Edjoin.org. Applications and resumes should be submitted online only via edjoin when there is a posting for substitutes. Please check Edjoin every few weeks as job openings may be posted throughout the year as staff are needed.
- Once you submit a complete application, selected candidates may be contacted for interviews.