Healthy Schools Act
The Healthy Schools Act of 2000 established right-to-know procedures for pesticide use in California public schools, and mandated using least toxic pest management methods as state policy. As such, our Integrated Pest Management program requires that problems with pests such as weeds, rodents, or insects at district facilities be solved using the lowest risk methods.
The Healthy Schools Act (HSA 2000) requires that all public school districts must:
- Provide annual written notification to all school staff, parents and guardians listing all pesticide products (some products are exempt) expected to be applied by district staff or outside contractors in the upcoming year, and the internet address to the Department of Pesticide Regulation's School IPM Program website. Direct link: http://apps.cdpr.ca.gov/schoolipm/
- Provide the opportunity for interested staff and parents to register with the school district if they want to be notified of individual pesticide applications at the school before they occur.
- Post warning signs at each area of the school where pesticides will be applied, posted 24 hours in advance and until 72 hours after applications.
- Maintain public records of all pesticide use at the school for 4 years.
- Designate an IPM coordinator to carry out these requirements.
Saratoga Union School District notifications and contact information:
- Annual notification regarding pesticide products expected to be applied by district staff or outside contractors in the upcoming year are listed in the Parent and Guardian Notifications each school year. Parents review this document and sign off during New Student Registration OR during Returning Student Enrollment Confirmation and Update. The annual notification document can be viewed at https://www.saratogausd.org/firstdaypacket.
- Warning signs are posted in areas where pesticides will be applied at least 24 hours in advance and until 72 hours after applications.
- Public records of pesticide use at the school(s) for the past 4 years are available at the school office.
- The IPM coordinator for Saratoga USD is the Director of Facilities and Maintenance, Joe Martinez, email@example.com
- If you wish to register to receive notifications of individual pesticide applications at the school before they occur, please contact the Director of Facilities and Maintenance, Joe Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org