This page outlines transfer information for students who live within Saratoga Union School District boundaries who want to transfer to another public school district, as well as students who do not live within SUSD boundaries but may request to transfer in.
For students currently enrolled in SUSD elementary school who wish to transfer to another SUSD elementary school for the next academic school year, visit the Intradistrict school transfer page.
- Transfer Out of SUSD
If you live in Saratoga Union School District boundaries and would like to transfer OUT to attend school in another district, complete the Interdistrict Transfer Form. Signed forms should be turned in to the District Office, 20460 Forrest Hills Drive, Saratoga, for processing. Refer to the information listed below on this page.
- Transfer In to SUSD
If you do not live within Saratoga USD boundaries but wish to request a transfer to our district, please note that enrollment in the Saratoga Union School District is for students whose primary residence is located within the district boundaries. If you do not live in the district, you may apply for an Interdistrict Transfer but admittance is not guaranteed. Please review the information listed on this page regarding schedule, guidelines, conditions, and process.
If you wish to apply, you must start in your district of residence. They will review your request to "release" your student from their district, and if approved by them your interdistrict request paperwork will then be sent to our district for review and approval or denial.We strongly advise that you DO NOT lose your spot in your current district school. Pleas
e note that very few transfer requests are granted each year as we need to maintain space and class sizes for students already residing within Saratoga Union School District.
- Transfer Out of SUSD
Interdistrict Transfer Schedule
The Saratoga Union School District will review Interdistrict Transfer requests for a subsequent school year beginning the first Monday in July.
Parents/Guardians submitting a request for a subsequent school year will be notified of a final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer is sought. (Education Code 46600.2.(a)(5)(B))
Parents/Guardians submitting a current year request, as defined in Education Code Section 46600.1, shall be notified of a final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received. (Education Code 46600.2.(a)(5)(A))
Any written notice to parents regarding a school district’s decision on a request of interdistrict transfer shall conform to the translation requirements of Section 48985 and may be provided using any of the following methods:
- Regular mail
- Electronic format, if the parent provides an email address
- By any other method normally used to communicate with parents in writing
General Guidelines for Interdistrict Transfers
The Superintendent (or Designee) is responsible for processing Interdistrict Transfer Requests, and the permission for transfer shall be approved through the District's Office of the Superintendent.
The Request for Transfer is initiated by the parent at his or her child's district of residence.
The parent(s) or guardian(s) of the child must be informed that the acceptance of their child for an Interdistrict Transfer shall be contingent upon the parent and the child assuming full responsibility for:
- Satisfactory attendance.
- Satisfactory behavior.
- Satisfactory academic progress.
- Any necessary documentation requested regarding and including childcare K-6, employment, doctor's recommendations, or guardianship documentation.
- Understanding that the receiving school has the right to rescind any prior approved Interdistrict Transfer if enrollment fluctuates during the course of the school year, or the parent/student does not fulfill the responsibilities listed in #1 - 5 above.
The Interdistrict Transfer shall be valid for only the current school year.
It is the responsibility of each school to ensure that a nonresident student accepted and registered without a valid permit be returned to the school of residence.
If Requests for Transfers exceed projected space available, the school site may establish a waiting list of applicants.
Placement of pupils with disabilities in Special Education Programs outside their district of residence is permitted when considered in the best interest of the students by their IEP Teams, and shall be in accordance with agreements made periodically with cooperating districts. Such placements shall not be limited by this policy. Attendance agreements for students with disabilities shall provide for the payment of funds beyond the state apportionment for the average daily attendance necessary for the education of the student with a disability.
The District will not be responsible for any additional expenses for out-of-district students. This includes excess cost for providing the Twenty-To-One (20:1) Class Size Reduction (CSR) Program.
Students accepted on Interdistrict Permits shall be assigned to a specific school by the Superintendent of his/her designee.
Any changes in the conditions upon which the transfer was granted, which may result in cancellation of the Interdistrict transfer, must be reported to the Principal of the school by the parent/guardian within ten (10) days of the changed status.
A student who lives outside of the school District and is permitted to attend the Saratoga Union School District on an Interdistrict Permit may not participate in the "Open Enrollment" process of this District.
Factors for Consideration for Granting or Denying Interdistrict Permit Applications
The District's priority is to serve all enrolled students with an exceptional educational program. The District will monitor its enrollment projections, actual enrollment, budget, student needs, and range of programs at least annually to provide a basis for evaluating all Interdistrict Permit Applications.
Consistent with the District's findings, the Superintendent or his/her designee shall approve or deny individual Applications for Transfers based on the following conditions:
- The student’s family moves into or out of the Saratoga Union School District during the second half of the school year. After discussion with the parents, it is believed by this District that the best interests of the student would be served by the student remaining in the same school for the balance of the school year.
- The family has completed plans for moving into or out of the District prior to the opening of the school year and can furnish acceptable proof of the intended move, such as a rental agreement and deposit or escrow papers.
- To allow students who have been continuously enrolled in a school to complete the last year of elementary as a fifth grader, or middle school as an eighth grader.
- The parent(s) or guardian(s) of students in Grades TK – 5 are employed full-time outside the District boundaries, and the student would be improperly supervised for a period of the day if the Interdistrict Transfer to another district were not permitted.
- The parent must work full-time within the boundaries of the District requested for attendance. Transfer Requests based on parent employment are handled only as Interdistrict Transfers and not as Residency/Allen Bill Transfers. Verification of employment information and reapplication is required annually.
- Special circumstance, when there are special mental, physical, and/or social-emotional needs of the student as certified by a physician, licensed psychologist or family therapist.
Conditions for Cancellation of Interdistrict Permits
The sending or receiving school or district has the right to revoke any previously approved Interdistrict Transfer Permit for any of the following reasons:
- Falsification or misrepresentation of information.
- Enrollment fluctuation.
- Infraction of school rules.
- Unsatisfactory behavior of student and/or parent/guardian
- Unsatisfactory attendance, including late arrivals and/or parent/guardian pick-up of student
- Poor academic effort/achievement.
- Doctor's recommendations.
- Inappropriate guardianship documentation.
- Change in parental employment to outside boundaries of the Saratoga Union School District.
Interdistrict Transfer Requests that are denied by the Saratoga Union School District may be appealed by the parent/guardian to the Santa Clara County Board of Education within thirty (30) calendar days of the date of denial.
The appeal is to be in writing and must provide all information and details as to why the denial is being appealed. The Santa Clara County Board of Education’s decision is final.
To view the Board Policies and Administrative Regulation, visit the Board Policy Manual online, Board Policy (BP) 5117 and Administrative Regulation (AR) 5117